Shattuck-St. Mary’s, an independent college preparatory boarding/day school (grades 6-12) in Faribault, Minnesota, is seeking a full-time Research Scientist-in-Residence, to begin in summer 2016. With the goal of providing its students with increased access to authentic research experiences, the School’s vision is to house a fully functional and fully-equipped university-level laboratory research facility, supervised by a research scientist (Scientist-in-Residence). The recruitment of this position will finalize the development of one of Shattuck-St. Mary’s premier academic programs, the BioScience Center of Excellence (BCOE) whose curriculum and enrichment activities are specifically designed to challenge and inspire high-ability science students planning to pursue careers in medical research, biomedical engineering or medicine.
- Determine and oversee laboratory research goals
- Provide mentorship to high school students, including oversight of lab work, identification of venues for written and oral presentation of student research, and assistance with writing articles and creating posters
- Design and teach an introductory Biotechnology and Laboratory Science course
- Secure external funding to maintain the operation of the laboratory facility
- Design and direct a summer-long high school research camp, and assist with occasional weekend science camps
- Assume additional co-curricular and residential life duties typical of a standard boarding school setting; in this case, the Scientist-in-Residence will most likely serve these duties by maintaining research lab hours for students on evenings and weekends.
- Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in Cell and Molecular Biology, Microbiology or a related field
- Demonstrated ability to establish a vigorous research program, to secure external research funds, to present research findings at relevant academic conferences and to publish in peer-reviewed journals
- Commitment to high school science education, including the desire to meaningfully involve high school students in authentic laboratory research
- Evidence of excellence in teaching and mentorship of students at an undergraduate or high school institution, including familiarity with the use of engaging and innovative pedagogical techniques
Email curriculum vitae, letter of interest addressing qualifications, research plan and teaching philosophy, and names and contact information for three references to: Linda Laughlin, Human Resources Director, [email protected]. Application materials will be received until position has been filled.